americanmcgee.com
Username  
Password

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alice 2 and DLC/DRM  (Read 3372 times)
MistaDerp
Moderately Interested

leetle bowser is driving happily

« on: March 10, 2010, 09:37:55 PM »

Googled, generally came up with Alice In Chains DLC for Rockband, and for some reason, Left4Dead DLC. Huh.

It's probably too early on to make a proper statement, but here goes

1. Any plans for Alice 2 DLC yet? EA loves to milk franchises! (I mean, all companies do nowadays, but still. EA was pretty evil until Activision came along.)

If yes, then

Will you have any part of it, or do you forsee it as EA slapping something together to make some extra cash? AND
Do you think the DLC, if already planned, will be content that wasn't quite up for being a part of the main narrative of the game, or do you have some other stuff that you wanted to explore in the game to add in?

If nay, then

Is it just a case of EA or yourself or the team not showing any real interest in the concept of DLC for this game, or just the idea of it not being brought up yet?

2. How do you feel about DLC in video games as a whole? How do you think that the concept could be improved, and do you think Alice could be a forerunner in this?

and finally (I hope)

3. EA will probably be doing their standard limited installs etc. DRM for Alice, eeeveryone sees it coming. What's your take on DRM?

inb4 I totally screwed something up and get verbally bitchslapped by Mr. McGee Sad face
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 09:48:16 PM by MistaDerp » Logged

Steam: notsucou
Zuluhed (US) - Bagfalls; Magiteck
american
Administrator
Marginally Interesting

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:26:18 PM »

1. ALL publishers are trying to find ways of actually making money with their games. can't blame them - they spend a significant amount of money on developers and marketing - only to have potential sales destroyed by piracy, 2nd hand sales and rentals. all the 'top 10 games' you see each year - those made money. the rest... didn't. that's a lot of money being lost. DLC is emerging as one of the ways publishes can recoup some of their investment. if fewer people would STEAL the games they're playing then maybe publishers/developers wouldn't have to reinvent the model.

anyway... can't comment on whether A2 will have DLC - but can say that if it does then we (Spicy Horse) would be involved in the development of it... nothing "slapped together".

2. already said much of what i feel in #1, above. DLC could always be improved. the entire western game development and publishing model is broken, IMHO. look at china. almost no piracy, no 2nd hand sales, no rentals, a booming game industry, lots of interesting content and a constantly evolving model of game content, creation and monetization. key difference: everything's online. DLC (and other schemes which force you to be online) are just baby steps towards the inevitable - all game content going online. no way western publishers can continue to increase development/marketing spending and hoping for a return so long as they rely on the traditional retail, box product model.

3. again, DRM is a necessary evil. it's like asking car makers if they like car alarms. it'd be cheaper to make cars without them - and maybe easier for you and me to get in and out of our cars... but the alarm is there for a reason: because we don't want someone stealing our car! seriously... the piracy thing threatens everyone - publishers, because they can't spend money on new games if they aren't making money - developers, because if publishers aren't spending they aren't working - and you the consumer, because if publishers and developers are hurting then you're going to see fewer games and more restricted access.

beyond DRC/piracy, retail sales model, etc - i also think the western development/publishing model could use evolution in a few others ways. we need alternate (online) distribution channels for smaller games developed over shorter time periods. the arms-race towards bigger budget, higher production-value blockbuster games reduces the amount of risk developers can take on design and content. smaller, cheaper games produced more rapidly and distributed less expensively (no box, no retail) could create an opening for greater innovation. in a way this is already happening in the social online gaming space - there's a model unfettered by many of the obstacles which sprung from the traditional model over time.

that's my 2 cents. no bitchslapping for you today ;)

-a

-american
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: