americanmcgee.com
Username  
Password

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alice: Madness Returns Problem FAQ and Information  (Read 163967 times)
rewak
Deeply Devoted

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 09:52:33 AM »

Lack of a Game Manual
I was very disappointed that EA was too cheap to print a full page manual for Alice: Madness Returns.   While it is neat that the manual is available on the game its-self, the copy provided in the game is horribly low-quality.   Why couldn't EA just print a manual?

Lack of DLC Support
I pre-ordered a retail copy of the game.   Why do I not have access to the optional DLC packages that Origin people got? That is stupid. 

Lack of Original Alice
Many users who pre-ordered Alice 2 on the idea that every PC version was getting the "remastered" package of Alice 1 got swindled out of their purchase.   I am one of those users, I pre-ordered the PC DVD-Retail copy on Amazon.   

Soundtrack Issues
Many users, on various forums, are reporting issues with redeeming their Soundtrack Codes.   I am one of them. 

Origin Support
Alice: Madness Returns requires Origin and a constant internet connection to run, even on a normal Retail DVD copy.   This has caused major distress for many users, myself included.   I just want it to be known, that when a crack for the game is available to allow the game to play completely offline, I will download it without hesitation.   This is a single-player story-driven game, I have paid for it.   I do not want EA's DRM on my machine.   What if I want to play on my laptop and I don't have access to the internet? Just an example. 

The lack of a manual is a push from EA to be more "green", by not printing a manual for every copy shipped that mostly goes unread anyway they're helping the environment, so they say.

Here's a guide to unlock the DLC with retail copies of the game, first Alice game won't work because it is it's own separate download but really you're not missing much if you're already played it. You can just install the original game to the path mentioned but it won't be the "remastered" version obviously.

1. Go to where you installed AMR.
2. Enter the "Alice Madness Returns" folder, then "Game", then "Alice2", then "AliceGame", and then finally the "Config" folder.
3. Open the DefaultEngine.ini file in notepad
4. Scroll down to the very bottom and you'll see this:

[AliceGame.  AliceGameEngine]
     Alice1Path=.  .  \.  .  \.  .  \Alice1\bin
     GIsSpecialPCEdition=FALSE

5. Change "FALSE" to "TRUE"
6. Save the newly edited .ini and load Alice. You'll see the option to play AMA (but it won't work, it'll just force-close the game) and when you go to the [equip] menu, you can select the DLC dresses and weapons

As for the Origin thing i totally agree with you, it's one of the main reasons i don't do PC gaming anymore. If it's not a limit on how many installations you can do it's a constant check up, like someone looking over your shoulder the entire time just to make sure you're behaving. It's insulting to people who pay for their games and the pirates work around it in no time.
α.j.croωlεγ
Occasional Straight-Jacket Use Suggested

ʝσᎥɳԵ ℘ɛɼsѻɳɑℓᎥԵʏ

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 11:13:57 AM »

Actually, if it's the retail copy then
 Alice1Path=.  .  \.  .  \.  .  \Alice1\bin
is not needed at all and can be erased. I believe without it there will be no misleading "Play AMA" in the menu.

I AM FOUND ON CLOCKTOPS, IN BOOK TOWERS AND ROOF DEPOSITORIES
nighty_amy
Fly By Night Newb

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 02:19:05 PM »

Im sorry but im really getting sick of this game. 

I have installed the game, unistalled, installed again.  Installed Origin, unistalled, installed again.  Double-checked all my drivers are up to date and my computer is way above the system requirements.  Closed my anti-virus.  Tried all the options with window-mode, administer mode and so on.  Still, Alice just won't start! I still have the "Alice madness returns has encountered a problem and needs to be closed".  Is there any idea what to do with this nightmare?

KikiMarooni
Fly By Night Newb

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 03:02:52 PM »

Hey,

I've had a lot of these issues too, though nothing with the umbrella.  I had to manually re-adjust the framerate and vsync options to stop the game from crashing, freezing.  That helped although it still experiences occasional freezes.

My main issue at the moment is with the minigames, specifically the underwater boat, and 'giant' alice.  Whilst in the boat I could not make it fire cannons or drop mines.  I got through that via dodging (by the skin of my teeth) but now I'm at 'giant' alice and have no way of controlling her at all, meaning I can't progress the game any further which is really crap. 

Gonna have a go at rebinding the keys, but I'm pretty unconviced it will work as the only in game options are for the normal melee and ranged fire - will it affect mini-game controls even if they are the same keys??

Can't say how much I was looking forward to this game, along with a lot of the other fans of the original I suspect; we've been waiting a long time for it.  The game could have been crap I wld have still loved it if it had the cheshire cat in  but it has to work, I have to be able to play it! How dissapointing now that its finally here we're all unable to play it due to shoddy testing.   >:-(
KikiMarooni
Fly By Night Newb

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 03:41:10 PM »

Further to the above, I've tried rebinding the keys, with no success.

I found another forum post which suggested that in both minigames, the function assigned to 'left mouse button' in the manual is actually triggered by the 'c' key, which means you fire cannons (boat) and swipe (giant) using c, but the other functions still a mystery.  I've tried every button methodically with no joy.

I also found a suggestion to use a usb pad to get past that section.  Tried that, but now the game won't save my input preferences! I go to the input options, set it to controller (as opposed to keyboard), confirm - come back out - nothing.  When I go back in, the change has reverted and I'm back on kb/mouse again!

So - exactly one day after the purchase of the game I've been waiting 10 years for, I am at a standstill and god knows when it will get fixed cause Spicy Horse aren't talking and EA are just referring us to here. 

I seriously could not be more pissed.  10 years just not enough time to test a game?
KikiMarooni
Fly By Night Newb

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 04:21:55 PM »

OK, I've tried altering the key-bindings manually and I think its worked - however, when I tried to add another line setting up say, < or > as the default keys, it failed.  In order for it to work you need to add the command you need (giantstomp for example) to an existing line which you won't be using during the minigames - I added mine to Lftctrl, which I have as shrink.

To repeat the file is at
C:Programme Files(x86)>EA>Alice Madness Returns>Game>Alice2>AliceGame>config>DefaultInput

Still pretty vitriolic at EA & Spicy Horse however.  These are lazy problems and there's nothing on any forum or site from either party other than a brief statement on EA forum saying 'your concern is noted, we have no action confirmed' (translates as eff off).
Dave3d
Fly By Night Newb

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 10:28:31 PM »

Yes, I read the guide.
And no, I am not doing anything weird.
Installed to E: drive.
Rebooted.
Started game, and TRIED to configure keys.
I cannot rebind any of them seperately.
:(

But, since I played with keyboard defaults last time, seems my weapon saves are working.
:)

Quote from: NiGHTSChao689 link=topic=2876. msg164183#msg164183 date=1308407361
Quote from: Dave3d link=topic=2876.  msg164066#msg164066 date=1308374794
@HollyHavok
Try saving the file somewhere else, as the exact same name, and then copy the file to the location and over write it with the new one.     
;)

Yeah, this game is bugged to crap.     

I have had the umbrella bug, the crashing bug, the arrow keys bug (I play on right side of keyboard also), and a new one or 3:
1.      My weapon upgrades arent being saved.      I have to keep going into the upgrade center, and upgrade the weapons every time it loads a new part.     
2.      Cant bind Insert/Home/Delete/End seperately from Numpad equivelents.     
3.      The game HITCHES badly when it has to load little frikin things, or when you break boxes/dice/pots.      I have an Uber system, and it just shouldnt do that.      (I7 990x, 12gb memory, GTX580, OCZ Vertex 3 240gb SSD).     

I am wondering if these things may be contributing to the problems:
1.      Non-default install location.      I have the game installed to my E:\ drive
2.      Non-default key bindings

Any way you slice it, this game was BADLY QA'ed.     
I would actually like my money back, but know they wont give it to me.     

You must be doing something weird.  .   because I haven't had any of those problems.  . 
1) Weapon upgrades work fine
2) I have Ins, Home, Page UP, Del, End, Page Down, Numpad 4, Numpad 1, Numpad 0, and the arrow keys and other things all mapped correctly without hassle.  
3) The game doesn't run bad for me, I'm running an Intel i7 2600K, 8GB of RAM, EVGA 560 ti, and a 5400 RPM drive.   Did you apply my framerate modifications I posted IN THE GUIDE?

Is anyone reading the guide.  .  ?
Chiron
Marginally Interesting

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 01:46:29 AM »

There is some minor things in PC version too that don't deserve a different thread. They don't affect gameplay but they could be easily fixed in a patch or something so I'll just post them here.

In the 'off with her head' sections whenever you enter a cannon the screenhint says "Hold X to charge". This is a leftover from the PS3 and Xbox versions that didn't get translated to a pc (space) button

Whenever you enter a riddle me this radula room the two cheshire audio clips overlap by a few seconds.
He says stuff like "riddle me this alice" and the actual riddle starts somewhere in the middle of that sentence

I just started a new game aswell to try the cheshire dress hardcore challenge. But apparently starting a new game does not erase all the weapon upgrades you already got in other games. I was able to use the 4th tier hobby horse right from the start
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 05:10:36 AM by Chiron » Logged

fabz
Marginally Interesting

We're all mad here

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 04:22:42 AM »

I'm having a really strange problem occur on the Xbox 360 version of AMR. When i play the original Alice and save my game, if i go back and try to load the game up it just crashes. This has happened twice now and each time i have had to restart the game over.
What the hell?!
Logicland
Fly By Night Newb

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2011, 08:34:47 AM »

Hello everyone. 

Just like everybody here, I bought the game hoping for a beautiful sequel, but instead I got:

1.   A game that won't save AT ALL.  Each time I start it, it asks me to make a new profile.   The changes in the options and the game NEVER save. 

2.   A game with no controls.  Once I go through the intro, I can only move Alice with the arrow keys (instead of wasd)/move the camera with the mouse.   No other controls work, no matter how much I mash the keyboard.   ONCE I managed to open the pause menu with the tab key, but only once.   Also, I still could skip the intro cutscenes with spacebar.   But when I come up to the pictures on the walls that I am supposed to view, it says "unbound" in the tooltip, instead of the key I'm supposed to press.   To exit the game I have to press the start menu key or sometimes even press the power off button so that the game would exit before I get the "Windows is waiting for these programs to close" screen. 

I have searched for possible fixes for this with no results.   Either my problem is very rare or I am missing something obvious here.   

I'm playing it on a laptop which is above the game requirements, the operating system is Windows 7. 
I've already tried running it as administrator, running it manually (I bought it on stupid Origin, even know apparently EA suddenly decided to release it on Steam too, FML), reinstalling it and now I reinstalled it again in a different drive.   No results.   

Either way, I REALLY need your help, please, I wanna play this game so bad, PLEASE. 

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:42:35 AM by Logicland » Logged
Catanas
Fly By Night Newb

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2011, 08:39:09 AM »

Have been loving the game, but have encountered an issue in the transitition between chapters 5 and 6
(I think) The game just sits on the loading screen for ages and when I ctrl-alt-del it says the programme is not responding. This is really annoying as I was on a roll and looking forward to the end!

I have the Origin complete collection. If anyone has encountered this error and gotten round it would love to hear from yous!

Who is Wally, and why the hell should I care where he is?
KikiMarooni
Fly By Night Newb

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2011, 09:20:24 AM »

Have encountered another issue now, and this is the last straw, I just can't be bothered to look for fixes any more.

After this I decided to start a new profile and play through again.  This time I got as far as picking up the pepper grinder, after which I cldn't change weapons to melee anymore.

I honestly give up
KikiMarooni
Fly By Night Newb

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2011, 09:27:47 AM »

I just noticed something - how many of the people having problems with the game are running it on windows 7?

I know I am and noticed some others are.  I vaguely recall seeing something on the origin sign in that said games played through them on windows 7 sometimes screw up - is this what the issue is?

Would be nice to have someone talk to us.  Have EA actually released a game via a platform they know will cause the game to break down on Microsofts operating system?
Xanthuz
Fly By Night Newb

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »

Quote from: Chiron link=topic=2876.   msg164576#msg164576 date=1308473189
I just started a new game aswell to try the cheshire dress hardcore challenge.    But apparently starting a new game does not erase all the weapon upgrades you already got in other games.    I was able to use the 4th tier hobby horse right from the start

That's probably cause you started with "New game+".    It saves everything you got (bottles, memories, snouts, weapons etc) from your 1st playthrough, too continue with in a new playthrough.   

Quote from: KikiMarooni link=topic=2876. msg164634#msg164634 date=1308500867
I just noticed something - how many of the people having problems with the game are running it on windows 7?

I was thinking the same, though i hope it's not the case.  And even so, all these thing's could be fixed with a patch if they look into it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 10:26:05 AM by Xanthuz » Logged
JohnnyGoofy
Fly By Night Newb

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2011, 11:55:42 AM »

Hi, I am currently enjoying this great game but also ran in to one of the bugs mentioned in your list:

Key-binds not working on mini-game sections
Various users have reported that key-binds (even default controls) do not activate when in a mini-game.   

This one.   

// POTENTIAL WORK-AROUND //
The problem is for some reason minigame and . . .   giantgame?? :) action keys does not work with mouse keys.
The solution is to open the DefaultInput.   ini file in your <game dir>/Alice2/AliceGame/Config folder and assign the minigame key to a keyboard key instead of a mouse key.   

Example:
I Added GiantStomp to my space key instead of my right mouse.   

OLD:
+Bindings=(Name="SpaceBar",Command="Jump | CycleFloatInputA | TryToCancelMatinee | DiscardWatch | OnRelease ShootPinball | ChargePinballCannon | MoveBlockPieceA")

NEW:
+Bindings=(Name="SpaceBar",Command="Jump | CycleFloatInputA | TryToCancelMatinee | DiscardWatch | OnRelease ShootPinball | ChargePinballCannon | MoveBlockPieceA | GiantStomp")

You can do this with all predefined minigame keys, the only ones that should cause a problem are those assigned to "RightMouseButton" or "LeftouseButton"
Note*  You can keep the action on the mouse, it doesn't matter
// POTENTIAL WORK-AROUND //

Thanks for the help, your "Change predefined keys" guide gave me the idea for this fix and got me going again in chapter 4 :)

Cheers

/Johnny
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 12:40:45 PM by JohnnyGoofy » Logged
Chiron
Marginally Interesting

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2011, 01:32:40 PM »

Quote from: Chiron link=topic=2876.   msg164576#msg164576 date=1308473189
I just started a new game aswell to try the cheshire dress hardcore challenge.    But apparently starting a new game does not erase all the weapon upgrades you already got in other games.    I was able to use the 4th tier hobby horse right from the start

That's probably cause you started with "New game+".    It saves everything you got (bottles, memories, snouts, weapons etc) from your 1st playthrough, too continue with in a new playthrough.  

I did create a new profile, the same name with a 2 afterwards. I deleted it and created a new one with a total different name. I still have all upgraded weapons :/
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 02:07:40 PM by Chiron » Logged

Xanthuz
Fly By Night Newb

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2011, 02:25:36 PM »

Quote from: Chiron link=topic=2876. msg164731#msg164731 date=1308515560
Quote from: Xanthuz link=topic=2876. msg164642#msg164642 date=1308503400
Quote from: Chiron link=topic=2876.    msg164576#msg164576 date=1308473189
I just started a new game aswell to try the cheshire dress hardcore challenge.     But apparently starting a new game does not erase all the weapon upgrades you already got in other games.     I was able to use the 4th tier hobby horse right from the start

That's probably cause you started with "New game+".     It saves everything you got (bottles, memories, snouts, weapons etc) from your 1st playthrough, too continue with in a new playthrough.   

I did create a new profile, the same name with a 2 afterwards.  I deleted it and created a new one with a total different name.  I still have all upgraded weapons :/

That's weird.  Guess we can add that too the list of bugs as well.
StingingVelvet
Fly By Night Newb

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2011, 05:55:48 PM »

Just registered to tell you in no way does the Origin version or retail copy require a constant internet connection.   It's a one-time activation on install same as most games now-a-days.

As for the game it works perfectly for me, no performance issues or control issues.   I am using an Xbox controller though, as I think the game plays better with it.
Mydarisis
Fly By Night Newb

Live for the moment not for the memory

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2011, 09:16:36 PM »

I have had none of these problems the only problem I ever came across was what I guess would be considered invisible enemies, I hit the very first samurai wasp and after I killed it no more came and I was locked in the area, now I've had to restart the entire game hoping that it'll fix that only to now get trapped in the flowers -. - they really need to patch this game it bugs me though they really released this one prematurely.
Logicland
Fly By Night Newb

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 12:34:12 AM »

Um, hello again.

I don't wanna be a bother, but I still haven't found a fix to my problems. . .

Though my friend did tell me that he read somewhere about an identical save crash to mine- the player profile gets erased each time you start the game, apparently. . .  He couldn't remember where he read it though which is a terrible shame :\

Any thoughts?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: