americanmcgee.com
Username  
Password

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARTICLE - Beta/Deleted Content (With Deleted Speech Download)  (Read 40655 times)
rewak
Deeply Devoted

« on: June 30, 2011, 02:16:45 PM »

*Please note i won't be referring much to the artbook for material here, i am only going to talk about things that were 100% developed and implemented in the game at some point or another. Also if you can't be bothered to read all this and just want the deleted speech download its at the very bottom of the post*

-DEVELOPMENT-

A lot of things mentioned here can be seen in a trailer accidentally uploaded online that was meant for internal use only. See the video HERE.

The storyline of Alice in London was originally set to be larger. Combat would have been included and Alice would have had to evade Police capture. A tutorial stage would have taught London Alice what she needed to know via accompanying a new Policeman called Carmine on his first patrol. These objectives can still be found in the games files.

TUTORIAL_OBJ_01=Take Carmine on his first patrol.
TUTORIAL_OBJ_02=Take cover.
TUTORIAL_OBJ_03=Shoot 5 bottles.
TUTORIAL_OBJ_04=Use Y look.
TUTORIAL_OBJ_05=Climb over the barricade.
TUTORIAL_OBJ_06=Perform 3 cover slips.
TUTORIAL_OBJ_07=Perform 3 SWAT turns.

After this Alice would set out to meet Pris Witless at her apartment. Presumably as in the final version Alice would hallucinate that Pris was transforming into the Jabberwocky and the player would either see Alice push Pris off the roof, or Alice would simply black out and wake up later with Pris gone (most likely the latter to add mystery to the game). Either way, Alice is now wanted for the murder of Pris Witless and must now evade police capture by way of maneuvering round the rooftops of London. Objectives for this section are also still in the games files.

OBJ_VS_L01=Meet Pris Witless at her apartment.
OBJ_VS_L02=Find out what Pris Witless knows.
OBJ_VS_L03=Escape the Police.

It is possible Rabbit appears to tell the player to run from the Police, however this may have occurred at a later point in the game.

After a walkway breaks and Alice slips off the roof the ground below would break revealing the tunnel to Wonderland which Alice falls down.

Landing in the Vale Of Tears. Here Rabbit would be the first character she meets.

Rabbit would instruct her to find Hatter, who's domain wouldn't be as simple to enter as in the final game. Again these objectives still remain in the games files.

OBJ_VS_W01=Reach the Mad Hatter's domain.
OBJ_VS_W02=Find another way into the domain.
OBJ_VS_W03=Find the Mad Hatter.

The design of the Vale changed, first having large patchwork mushrooms. These can still be seen in the final game, however they are much smaller.

As the development progressed Rabbit was removed and Cheshire added in his place. The new entering the Vale scene changed only slightly from what is seen in the final game, the only changes being slight camera angle shifts, Cheshire textures (not as detailed as final), animations and fade-out (notice his eyes fade out last). Note also there are no floating objects in the sky and no Mock Sparrow. See the video HERE.

The design of the Hatters Domain, like the Vale, changed slightly. Early in development note the metal card shaped platforms making a return from the first game.

Further in development, only a small change to remove a Bolterfly Hive. See the video HERE.

It isn't clear how the story would unfold from here, other than Alice would continue to drift back and forth between evading capture in London and falling to Wonderland, however it is clear she would still meet with Radcliffe as seen in an objective left in the games files.

OBJ_Chap3_L01=Find the Lawyer’s Office on Cornhill.

She would meet Nan Sharpe and the Mermaid would still burn down, from this we discover Alice had a room which she stayed in at the Mermaid.

[3_1_J_Nanny SoundNodeWave]
Subtitles[0]=(Text="You'll hear soon enough. I hope you didn't leave anything you value in your room at the Mermaid...")

She would also find herself constantly at the scene of gruesome murders, unaware if she committed them or if someone is killing who she is trying to talk to in an effort to silence them, keep her from the truth and frame her.

In Deluded Depths during the HMS Gryphon sequence Mock Turtle would give commands to the player.

[2_2_AC_MockTurtle SoundNodeWave]
Subtitles[0]=(Text="Alice! The ship's taking too much damage. It won't survive!")

[2_2_AF_MockTurtle SoundNodeWave]
Subtitles[0]=(Text="The one on the right! Fire now, or we'll become part of the food chain!")

[2_2_Y_MockTurtle SoundNodeWave]
Subtitles[0]=(Text="Fire the cannons. We'll teach these predators etiquette!")

[2_2_Z_MockTurtle SoundNodeWave]
Subtitles[0]=(Text="Mind the mines, Alice. They'll scuttle us faster than the sharks.")

There was an encounter with a King Crab who would protect the Oysters, subtitles of the speech are still in the games files. It is unclear from what he says whether or not Alice is aware of the Walrus and Carpenters intentions for the Oysters.

[2_7_1_B_KingCrab SoundNodeWave]
Subtitles[0]=(Text="Do you always follow the orders of a deranged authority figure? We must protect our friends.")

[2_7_1_D_KingCrab SoundNodeWave]
Subtitles[0]=(Text="He has only his own interests in mind. He and the Walrus. And you are their tool. We will protect the Oysters, vain and silly creatures, who will not protect themselves.  We won't give way without a fight.")

Once defeated the Oysters would wonder what happened to them.

[Oysters_04 SoundNodeWave]
Subtitles[0]=(Text="Where are my crabs?")

The Ghost Captain would get irate with the player if they messed around instead of freeing the souls of his ships crew.

[2_9_2_G_7_GhostCapt SoundNodeWave]
Subtitles[0]=(Text="What the fuck are you doing?")

There was also a swimming section cut from Deluded Depths.

In Mysterious East there would have been a clearer distinction between East and West, which would have to be visited to free each area from the tyranny of the Daimyo Wasps as seem in the leftover objectives.

OBJ_Chap3_W01a=Sub-Objective Defeat the Daimyo of the East.
OBJ_Chap3_W01b=Sub_Objective Defeat the Daimyo of the West.

In either the Dollhouse or Queensland there was a cut character named Jack who Cheshire would tell you to meet. He wouldn't be pleased to see you. This is the only line left of Jacks in the games files, and the only line in which Cheshire mentions him.

[5_4_D_2_CheshireCat SoundNodeWave]
Subtitles[0]=(Text="You're not alone in this. Join up with \"Jack\". He can help.")

[4_2_C_Jack SoundNodeWave]
Subtitles[0]=(Text="What's she doing here? Hasn't she done enough damage?")

In Queensland the chess pieces from the puzzles were meant to speak. There may have been a minigame in which you had to keep the rooks apart as alluded to in the deleted speech files from Cheshire.

[4_4_1_D_Rook1 SoundNodeWave]
Subtitles[0]=(Text="I suppose you'll want to play our little game. Everything will be tickety-boo as long as you keep me away from that dreadful rook.")

[4_4_1_E_Rook2 SoundNodeWave]
Subtitles[0]=(Text="Says you dear. And you don't run out of turns, or we'll have to start all over again. And that would be tiresome. ")

Also in Queensland the Queen would frantically shout at the player as they progressed and shout commands to the Excecutioner.

[4_4_D_Queen SoundNodeWave]
Subtitles[0]=(Text="It's her! She's come for the toys. She wants my dolls. She'll take my kingdom, my crown. Find her. Kill her.Just, just...  Off with her head! Off with her... everything! Guilty of... guilty of, of... Guilty as charged!")

[4_4_E_Queen SoundNodeWave]
Subtitles[0]=(Text="She's aimless; shiftless; pointless; fruitless; ambiguous. Run her down; run her off; make her take out the rubbish; make her sad. Unwelcome visitor: return from whence you came! Where is whence? Ask for forgiveness? denied! Ask for pudding? Request denied. A perfect guest does not overstay; a perfect guest stays home. Remember what happened last time this started? No forget that! I mean remember the first time? Rember how frightened you were? Be afraid now! I'm the Queen, grown and awesome. The Queen will have your guts for garters.")

[4_6_A_Queen SoundNodeWave]
Subtitles[0]=(Text="Seize her you awful creature. Be my wrath. Give her no comfort. No succor, no relief. No place to hide. No peace. Run her down. Slice her into tiny bite-sized titbits.")

[4_7_A_Queen SoundNodeWave]
Subtitles[0]=(Text="Harm her, maim her. Grind her bones. Chop her into tiny bits... Give her a stomach ache! Gouge her eyses out! Stick pins in her ears. Stomp on her fingers. Pinch her cheeks! Protect the Queen from this intruder. Sacrifice for the sake of the kingdom. Damn and blast! More damage, more hurt, more pain... more madness. Bloody her; slash her. Off with... her toes! Her head!")

Perhaps by a bug in the final game, or perhaps by choice, in the Launch Trailer for the game you can see Giant Alice stomping around in her Queensland dress, however in the final game when she becomes giant the dress switches to the Classic dress. Even selecting an alternate dress from the Equip menu doesn't change the Giant dress. See the video HERE.

The Dollhouse design was changed in the final game, and there were also Dollboys which were cut leaving only the Dollgirls in the final game. Cheshire would also appear small in the Dollhouse domain.

-LEFTOVERS-

The weapons originally were based upon Tarot. Alices dress would change colour depending on which weapons were equipped. Also note the debug text on the final show "You feel ethereal". It is unknown what this means, possible a power up of some kind or just a reference to a boost in health?

Attacks were also different, some combo attacks appear to have been in the game.

Alice had the ability to "dash" through objects breaking barriers to continue.

Alice underwent a redesign through the games development.

Alice may have been friends with Charlie, the little boy seen in the intro of the game.

3_M_1_Charlie_01=That 'Salvation' cow on the High Street says Jonah's another word for 'jinx'.  Man's saved from certain death with nothing worse than fish stink on him. Lucky bloke, I'd say.

[4_8_C_Alice SoundNodeWave]
Subtitles[0]=(Text="I hate that cow! Thinks she's always right. So authoritative; so judgemental; so bossy! Leaves no room for argument or defense.")

Some memories did not make it into the game, some were slightly re-written.

[L01 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="We’ll all roast in our beds, Alice, for the sake of your father’s voluminous notes on Greek irregular verbs"

[L02 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="I learned to play without music, Alice. Teacher could never find it in the Library"

[L03 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="A tee-pee’s a wonderful hidey hole, Alice. An underground cave"

[L04 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="should be confined to the stove, girls"

[L05 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Papa, must your devotion to photography make the Library stink like a pickle barrel?"

[L06 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="And with gas laid on, that dim-witted coal-heaver will never again darken our door. A blessing!"

[W01 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Put the roses upstairs, Alice. There’s never room in the Library"

[W02 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="I’m sure fabulous creatures think us fabulous, too"

[W03 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Don’t confuse mad with angry, Alice. We’re all mad here"

[W04 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="There’s no room to swing a cat in here"

[W05 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Amanita muscaria, Alice, is a fancy name for a foul-tasting toadstool"

[W06 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Eat your soup, girls. Young cows gave their all for it"

[W07 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Loaded collier lost at sea.  Fire on board. No survivors!"

[W08 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="You never liked trains, Alice. Noise and smoke like snakes and snails?"

[W09 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Brixton couple with budgie survive plunge over Victoria Falls!"

[W10 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="I only take tea with friends, your Majesty"

[W11 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Bad Train! Won’t stay on the tracks!"

[W12 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Must that wretched rabbit go everywhere, Alice?"

[W13 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Bugs are fascinating, aren’t they, dear? Lizzie hates them"

[W14 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Father napped in the library before the couch became a table"

[W15 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Remember, Alice, no deity decides who’s to live or who’s to die?"

[W16 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Chains and locks are worthless, Alice. Where are you when you can’t find the key"

[W17 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="A pretend tea-party is fine, Alice. But you’ve ruined our best china. Your father won’t be pleased"

[W18 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="The time has come to put away childish things, Alice"

[W19 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="No need to lock the doors, dear. We’ve nothing to steal"

[W20 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Exotic beasts demand special attention, Alice"

[W21 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Like Gibralter, Alice, the house is impervious to earthquake, fire, typhoon, and Barbary macaques"

[W22 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Some bees makes honey; some bees are just busy"

[W23 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Small and special rarely go together"

[W24 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Industrial progress is overvalued, Alice. Should we go farm in Australia?"

[W25 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Stuff comes in many forms, dear; but it’s nearly all rubbish"

[W26 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Off with his head . . . Sentence first. Verdict later"

[W27 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="A gentleman without a hat has clearly lost his head"

[W28 SoundNodeWave]
SpokenText="Would you like to hear about Humpty-Dumpty, again, Alice?"

There were many cut lines of dialogue in the game. Most of these belonged to Cheshire, including one ironically heard in most trailers ("Now it's time to put your blade to work"). It would appear as in the first game the player was able to call upon him whenever they chose, why this was cut is unknown. To hear these lines, and many others, here i present all the cut dialogue from the game. Download HERE
Wallghost
Borderline Obsessive

"Oh, Alice, What have you done?"

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 02:30:25 PM »

I'm not unhappy with what we have, but I AM unhappy at the fact that we could have had all these AMAZING story elements.
Thank you rewak.

"The Red Queen is dead and gone....for now...."
Nannak
Borderline Obsessive

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 02:30:40 PM »

If you looked closely at the Dollboy picture, it looked like it took place in the Hatter's domain (due to the tea pots and the environment). Maybe the Dollboy was a manifestation of Charlie?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 02:34:56 PM by Nannak » Logged
DarkandDemented
Requires Daily Medication

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 02:40:12 PM »

If you looked closely at the Dollboy picture, it looked like it took place in the Hatter's domain (due to the tea pots and the environment). Maybe the Dollboy was a manifestation of Charlie?

Maybe Charlie, at some point in London, Forgot who Alice was, which frightened Alice due to the two being friends? Which would be why a Charlie Manifestation might be an enemy?
LoloPinky
Moderately Interested

A Man Chooses, A Slave Obeys

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 02:47:02 PM »

It's so amazing, and disappointing, to see all of this content which could have (and I guess, was at some point) in the game and they've had to remove. :/

I really hope we can get to enjoy some of this content through DLC.

Nannak
Borderline Obsessive

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 02:57:01 PM »

Maybe Charlie, at some point in London, Forgot who Alice was, which frightened Alice due to the two being friends? Which would be why a Charlie Manifestation might be an enemy?

Also it would have given Alice (and the player) a first hint/clue that there's something not right with Houndsitch and especially Bumby in general and the first warning sign of what Alice might become...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:04:24 PM by Nannak » Logged
DarkandDemented

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 03:04:48 PM »

I'm really truely now believeing that the un-cut version would have been a real Psychological Thril Ride. : / I like what we have, but it could have been much better.
Wallghost
Borderline Obsessive

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 03:06:54 PM »

I'm really truely now believeing that the un-cut version would have been a real Psychological Thril Ride. : / I like what we have, but it could have been much better.
That's what I was thinking. I love what we have to death.
But the cut stuff feels more nostalgic IMO.

Nannak
Borderline Obsessive

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 03:20:13 PM »

Also let's not forget the deleted domains like the Moon, Cloud's Hunter, Junkyard of Memory, Book's World, Snow Globes and Escher. Also deleted characters like the Wasp Empress, Humpty Dumpty, and so many countless others that can be found in the character profiles.

With so much cut material I seriously hope for a director's cut of this game...
rewak
Deeply Devoted

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 03:23:35 PM »

The reason i didn't detail the domains is because they were probably not even built and definitely came nowhere near to being finished. Concept art does not equal a made product.

The characters in the bios probably were made and in the game at some point though.
Wallghost
Borderline Obsessive

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 03:27:29 PM »

Also let's not forget the deleted domains like the Moon, Cloud's Hunter, Junkyard of Memory, Book's World, Snow Globes and Escher. Also deleted characters like the Wasp Empress, Humpty Dumpty, and so many countless others that can be found in the character profiles.

With so much cut material I seriously hope for a director's cut of this game...
We don't even know if they even began making those levels.
Escher was made, but couldn't be completed because of technical dificulties, and probably scratched as soon as they began work on it.
Snow Globes probably would have happened , Thus the broken snowglobe statue, and the snow outside Radcliffe's house, but either way probably not finished at all.
If I remember correctly Humpty Dumpty was in the game, but broken.

Spindlewick
Moderately Interested

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 03:58:51 PM »

Thank you Rewak for the effort in putting this together!
I really love all of those unused memories.
The theory of Charlie being a friend is an interesting one; I always thought he would make an appearance somehow after he is briefly shown in the intro.  I figured the default Blue dress was bugged to show when Alice became big.

"The World is Quiet Here"
Lucida
Moderately Interested

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 05:54:51 PM »

This stuff is very fascinating! Thank you for this as I actually need all of those Smiley

Rewak, are you part of the Developer's Team?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 06:02:17 PM by Lucida » Logged

rewak
Deeply Devoted

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 05:57:20 PM »

No, i wish i knew how to do the kind of stuff those guys do!

Let me know what you all think of the deleted speech, i quite like the one where Alice mentions she tried to whack Nanny with her hobby horse as a child  Plth!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 06:16:55 PM by rewak » Logged
Lucida
Moderately Interested

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 06:16:56 PM »

Do you have any more VO's like the one from the final version?

rewak
Deeply Devoted

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 06:31:20 PM »

I'm not posting all the VO's from the game because that's a bit iffy on the rules side of things but i did post a tutorial on how to rip them from the PC version - http://www.americanmcgee.com/forum/index.php?topic=3165.0
α.j.croωlεγ
Occasional Straight-Jacket Use Suggested

ʝσᎥɳԵ ℘ɛɼsѻɳɑℓᎥԵʏ

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 09:59:57 PM »

this

I AM FOUND ON CLOCKTOPS, IN BOOK TOWERS AND ROOF DEPOSITORIES
AeddGynvael
Fly By Night Newb

I colour the world with the hues of my madness.

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 11:31:57 PM »

This makes me sad.
And angry at some people.
Thanks a lot for all the effort, great thread.
Evening

Curiouser and Curiouser.

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 04:18:32 AM »

This thread is AMAzing. Thank you so much for putting it together, rewak!   Must have took you ages.

If I lay here,
If I just lay here,
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?
darksorrow
Borderline Obsessive

>;D

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 04:24:41 AM »

and... another very interesting and cool thread by rewak! thanks

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: